So I am making a list of a few things other positive advantages of living in a small town, just to remind myself and share with you.
- Most people know each other and when someone needs help it is easier to find.
- Families seem to be closer.
- The pace is much slower
- Church is a major activity
- Small group gathering such as hometown picnics and celebrations bring people of all ages closer together
- People are there during times of need such as death even if they are not immediate family
- Relatives from the city like to visit their relatives in a small town as a peaceful get away
- Crime is usually less
- Gardening, fishing and other activities such as this are enjoyed
- One can walk to the store, parks, church and such just for pleasure or exercise
- People share what they grow in their gardens and enjoy sharing their canning recipes
- When you go to the town store you actually see neighbors that you know and are on a first name basis with the butcher
- Usually if there is a town Dr. and one is sick the Dr. will always see that person
- Banks and insurance people know you on a first name basis
- There is gossip but some times that is not all bad because people pay closer attention to doing the right thing
- The elderly usually have a feeling of closeness in a small town
- Housing is usually less expensive
- It is a big town deal when there is a birth of a child even if that child is not family
- People usually speak and say howdy even if they don’t know you
- In the summer you can feel more at ease with leaving your windows and doors open to allow for fresh air
- The air just smells better
- The birds seem to sing louder
- You can actually look at the stars, sunrise and sunset from your own front or backyard
- The simple things in life are more satisfying
- All in all most small town people are close and friendly
- More places to get out and talk a walk
- You can see stars in the night sky
- With Covid virus around, it may even be safer.
So this is just a few of the positives of small town living that I remember from my childhood when I lived in a small town. Do have live in a small town or have memories of living in a small town? If so, scroll to the bottom of the page and comment to let me know.
Ann shared this post as WorkingBoomer on SmallTownRetirement
Originally posted 2020-08-12 08:33:23.