Baby Boomers are putting a lot of thought in to the question of where to retire. Many people think about retiring to a small town and there are many advantages to living in a small town. Some people even retire to city living and that is also becoming a popular idea.
But today I want to talk about retiring in the suburbs and the advantages of that from my personal observations. These many be enough reasons just to keep me in place, so let’s begin.
Definition of SUBURB
a : an outlying part of a city or town
b : a smaller community adjacent to or within commuting distance of a city
Advantages of Retiring in the Suburbs
1. Since many of us currently live in the suburbs, we can just age in place. Less stress in moving to a new area. More comfortable with surroundings we know.
2. Closer to our friends, associates, organization we belong to and can maintain current relationships.
3. I have a Kroger, Publix and a Whole Foods within 3 miles of my house. That is nice.
4. We have an Active Adult Center nearby.
5. I have Meetup groups I belong to in my community
6. I am a member of a fitness gym five minutes from my house.
7. We have some really top restaurants nearby (5 to 10 minutes).
8. We have two regional hospitals and all kinds of Doctors and medical groups nearby. For the future home health services abound.
9. I can continue my part time consulting job if I don’t move away. Starting a new retirement job in a new location may not be so easy.
10. Many other services are nearby like getting a massage, stopping by the bookstore, dry cleaners, all kinds of shopping, etc.
11. Entertainment is easily accessible. In my community there are live music venues, concert halls, community theaters, Verizon Amphitheater, sports. A trip in to the city can be made in 20 to 30 minutes for bigger venues.
12. Driving is not bad if I am not in rush hour times but things are so close that does not matter much. If needed in the future, taxis, vans and other transportation are available.
So even compared to one of those wonderful Active Adult Communities in the exurbs, I have a better Fitness Center, better access to grocery shopping, better access to nice restaurants and better access to top medical services.
At first glance there is not as much opportunity to meet new friends; but it is also something to consider in keeping old friends. Meetups, adult centers, volunteering, clubs, libraries and hobbies presents opportunities to meet friends.
As it turns out what I have been searching for may be right here at my doorstep. What about you, are you going to move for retirement?